Oak Tree and Pensilva Flu Programme Autumn/Winter 2020
The delivery of our flu programme has been adjusted this year to allow for new guidelines that have been put in place due to the coronavirus. You will find information below on the delivery of our flu programme for Autumn/Winter 2020.
Please support your practice by attending the surgery for your flu vaccine. Your safety and the health of our community is our priority.
Who is eligible for the free seasonal flu vaccination?
The eligibility criteria for flu vaccination are as follows:
- You are 50 or over **Please see below if you are aged between 50—65
- You are a carer
- Pregnant women
- Chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as ; asthma (which requires an inhaled or tablet steroid treatment, or has led to hospital admission in the past), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
- Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- Chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), learning disability or cerebral palsy
- Problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- A weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medication such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- Being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
- Children aged 2 or 3 on 31 August 2020—that is, children born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2018
- All primary school children and children in year 7 of secondary school (vaccinations will be administered in school)
- Children aged 2 to 17 with long-term health conditions
Staged delivery of vaccinations
Adults aged 65 and over and adults with a chronic illness (see criteria above) will be able to book into clinics starting from Wednesday 23 September.
**The following statement has been issued by The Immunisation Team at NHS England regarding the implementation of flu vaccines to those patients aged 50-64 year.
Please note that people in the 50-64-year old age group will not be vaccinated until November and December, providing there is sufficient vaccine, and no appointments will be offered for this age.
How to book an appointment for a flu vaccine
Please check that you are eligible for the flu vaccine before making an appointment.
Any appointments booked online for non-eligible patients will be cancelled.
Please contact the surgery on 01579 324 252 and one of our reception team will be able to book you into an appropriate clinic. Please let our team know if you require any type of assistance on the day and whether you will be attending with a carer.
What have we done to protect you from risk of infection?
As well as all of the current strict protocols put in place due to Covid-19 such as social distancing, reduced footfall, PPE, Covid screening etc, a number of measures specifically aimed at delivering our flu clinics have been put in place such as:
- Specific clinics for our shielded patients
- Specific Child Flu Clinics
- No walk in clinics
- One way systems throughout the buildings
What can you do to help?
There are a number of ways in which you can help to ensure your appointment runs smoothly and to help us ensure the safety of our staff and patients:
- Please do not arrive early or late for your appointment, you will not be permitted to enter the building until your appointment time
- Book appointments and attend in family bubbles
- Observe social distancing
- Wear a face mask—you will be asked to re-book your appointment if you arrive without a face mask (those who are exempt will be booked into separate clinics)
- Do not turn up to the surgery without an appointment—we are not doing walk in flu clinics this year
- Use the toilet before attending
- Wear a short sleeved, loose top to allow easy access for vaccination. If the weather is cold please wear layers that you can easily and quickly remove such as cardigans or zip up coats/jackets
- You will not be able to do anything other than receive your flu vaccine during the flu clinics so please do not delay the staff by asking to book further appointments etc
- Do not attend the surgery with Covid Symptoms