Clinics and Services
We offer a range of services including the below. For more information, please visit our Health Review and Assessment Clinic Room.
Appointments are available with the Practice Nurses who run the following clinics:
- Heart disease
- Chronic lung disease
- Childhood immunisations
- Smoking cessation – If you have been advised by the surgery to submit a review of your smoking, please use our online Smoking Review form.
- Follow-up clinics for patients on HRT or contraception.
They perform cervical cytology, swabs, and wound/ulcer dressings.
- Blood Pressure
- Weight Check
- Urine Tests
- Cervical Smears – All women and people with a cervix aged between 25 to 64 will be invited for screening three to five yearly (depending on age). Reminders are sent out by letter when they are due. Those with previously abnormal results may require more frequent tests. If you are nervous, or have any concerns about this test, please discuss this with the nurse in advance. The result will be sent to you from the screening department.
- Mammogram – All women aged between 50 to 71 are automatically invited for breast cancer screening every three years. Ladies over 71 may also have a mammogram on request.
- Cholesterol Test – For patients who smoke, have high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease or have a positive family history.
- Bowel Cancer Screening – Offered to all aged between 60 to 75 and by request only for the over 75s.
A full range of contraception services are available.
Ear irrigation (Ear syringing)
Ear irrigation is no longer be available at Oak Tree Surgery and Pensilva Health Centre.
Ear syringing is no longer considered to be the first line treatment for the clearing of ear wax and it is not a funded service within the NHS for General Practice.
Current guidelines are that ear drops should be used to soften the wax which will then enable the natural movement of the wax from the ear.
We are committed to providing best practice and high quality medical care to our registered patients. Therefore, in line with current best practice and many other GP surgeries nationwide, Oak Tree Surgery and Pensilva Health Centre has made the decision to withdraw the ear syringing service.
Further information regarding treatment processes can be found on the Ear wax – information for patients page within NHS Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group Website.
If you have ear symptoms that concern you, or you have tried using over the counter ear drops for at least four weeks and your ear wax is still troubling you, please speak to our reception team who will be able to book you an appointment with the most appropriate Health Care Professional.
If you intend to start a family in the near future, there may be important advice we can offer which will increase the chance of you having a healthy pregnancy and baby. Please make an appointment to see your doctor.
The midwives hold clinics during surgery time by appointment, at Liskeard Community Hospital. Postnatal appointments and six week baby checks are made with the doctor.
Minor Injuries Service
We offer a minor injuries service, please contact reception to book an appointment.
Immunisations are available in the surgery. Information is available from the health visitor and practice nurse.
We offer vaccinations for travel, occupational need, flu and pneumonia (following Department of Health guidelines).
For more information about travel vaccinations, please visit our Travel Room.
Drug Therapy Testing and Anti-coagulation Monitoring
The surgery carries out regular blood tests on behalf of local specialists to monitor drug therapy, including anti-coagulation therapy, which would otherwise have to be done at Derriford.